Thursday 11 January 2018

For help on Self Assessment for the self-employed…

It’s probably best not to be guided by Preston Garstang and Compton Bassett… 

Yep. It’s that time of year again. The time of year when lots of us become a little anxious and distracted.

And, nope, we don’t mean the F.A. Cup 3rd Round or feeble attempts at Dry January but the end-of-month deadline for submitting tax returns.

So, while many people frantically scrabble together as much information as they can to get their affairs in order, it’s a busy time too for HMRC as their Helpdesk Team prepare for the last-minute rush of enquiries.

Which is why it’s all hands to the pump, and the reason Messrs Preston Garstang and Compton Bassett from the Department of Trivial Affairs (http://www.chapmanworth.co.uk/news/ October 2017 blog) have been drafted in to help.

What they don’t know about the finer points of Self Assessment for the self-employed can be written in several weighty tomes, so, rather than being assigned to the helpdesk, their remit was to instead submit all manner of potential queries as part of a test run.

Here’s a sample of what they came up with…

On travel expenses:

Q. I have friends coming to help me on a business trip who aren't employed by me in any form. 
     How can I claim for their expenses for the trip?

Q. If I take my cat on Eurostar for business, can I claim £0.45 per mile instead of the fare?

Q. I got a unicycle for Christmas and plan to use it to get to work. I’m unable to ride it yet though.
     Two questions – can I be reimbursed for lessons and how much can I claim per mile?

Q. Sorry, that should have read car.


On clothing and personal expenses:

Q. I’m a professional lion-tamer. Can I expense private healthcare if I get injured?

Q. I’m a Scuba Diver Trainer and was thinking of getting a reversible wetsuit/tuxedo like Sean
     Connery wore in Thunderball. Do I just claim 50% of the cost?

Q. My work has resulted in back pain from sitting at a desk (my desk is too low and my chair is
     too high, and it also only has 3 legs). My osteopath says I can claim the cost of treatments. Is
     this correct?

Q. Good day. I am a method actor in musical theatre and need to maintain a specific physique that
     ranges from extremely buff to er, not-so-buff (nonetheless, I remain irresistibly cavalier). How
     much can I expense on gym membership and fast-food?

Q. As part of my brand image, I take my Andalusian chihuahua (Rodrigues) to business meetings.
     He usually sits in my handbag. However, he gets very nervous if there are a lot of people
     present and has already ruined 2 rugs, a welcome mat and a Louis Vuitton Speedy 30. Can I
     claim for these as well as a dog hypnotherapist?


On capital expenses:

Q. I’m planning a Star Wars attraction and want to build a Death Star. Some of it will be for work
      and some for holidays. How much can I expense? (Ps. Not sure yet if it will be my base for
      work. It’ll also be in my back garden and not up in space.)

Q. How do I claim for work done on my swimming pool? The roof was leaking so I had to have it
     fixed and my car park also had to be resurfaced.

Q. How about a Bond-villain lair inside a volcano? I say Bond-villain lair but it’s actually just
     going to be used for respectable purposes.

Q. Regarding the swimming pool, it’s a separate building next to the patio.

Q. I work from home and my front door is in a terrible state (I think it’s next door’s dog) and needs
     replacing. What amount can I claim back?

Q. If I work from home, can I knock all the walls down to make it one big room instead of having
     to claim just a proportion?

Q. I can turn the swimming pool into a registered business if that’s easier?


On work-related research expenses:

Q. I regularly conduct wine tasting abroad. Can I fly Business Class and claim it as an expense?
     The fact I have family and friends there is completely coincidental.

Q. Performing my work includes researching a lot of culture (films, video games, magazines, 
     books, travel) for creative inspiration and idea generation. Oh, and gin and tonic. Can these
     purchases be included as expenses?


On entertaining expenses:

Q. Can I count membership to a Members’ Club that I use for an office/meeting place for my
     business?

Q. Can I claim for a business development meeting with a VIP customer? Usually it’s in my office
     but it might be over dinner in an expensive restaurant (they do an early-bird menu).

Q. Is there a daily food allowance of £8.00 per day? And does this go up with London weighting?

Q. What if it’s a Meal Deal?

Q. Or just a bag of crisps (low fat)?


Just in case none of this has been particularly helpful, here are some must-knows:

The term ‘wholly and exclusively’ is key to much of what can be legitimately claimed for
   business expenses.

Entertaining expenses are a big no-no.

Any tax due should be paid by 31st January, including payment of any liability (for 2016-17),
  and any payment on account (due for 2017-18).

And, lastly, a £100 penalty also applies for late submissions, even if there was no tax to pay or
  any tax due was paid on time.

More information can be found at https://www.gov.uk/expenses-if-youre-self-employed and via HMRC’s online webinars: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/help-and-support-if-youre-self-employed.

So, there you have it.

Incidentally, we’ve just heard that some of the Helpdesk Team have been named in the New Year Honours List; not for services to the public but for ‘outstanding patience and fortitude in the face of extreme ill-informed inquisitiveness’ – from seconded colleagues.

Although the rumour that HMRC now internally stands for ‘Help Me Remain Civil’ is yet to be verified.

Until next month...